Surviving the Storm

I'm happy to bring you a woman who has been through it all.  In Jane Pauline's books, Playin' Church and Still Playin' Church, we see the story of domestic abuse.  Currently, she's working with Actress and Screenwriter , Keisha Rose on a screenplay, Triggers, which tells the story of the aftermath of domestic abuse.  Jane Pauline is an Author, Screenwriter and SURVIVOR, and I welcome you to come into a snippet of her world  in this interview.

CSW:  Hi Jane Pauline.  I'm happy that you've joined  me today and let's get this started.

JP:  I'm excited to be able to share my story and hopefully help some readers that are possibly going through an abusive relationship.

CSW:  I'll jump in.  Tell me in five words, how you would describe your journey.

JP:  A necessary rough road traveled.

CSW:  That's powerful.

JP:  It was meant for me to go through it all to share my testimony and help someone in my lifetime.

CSW:  What message are you trying to share with people about domestic violence?

JP:  My message is zero tolerance because statistics prove that once a man puts his hands on you, it becomes a repetitive, vicious cycle to break.  So, leave the first time and don't ever look back!

CSW:  That's life saving advice.  In my later teen years, I had a potentially damaging situation once and I left that relationship immediately because I knew it was a sign.  I can only imagine what could have happened if I stayed in that relationship.

JP:  Yes, it's very important to leave the first time.  

CSW:  What made you decide to share your testimony about being in an abusive relationship?

JP:  I decided to share my testimony because the captives needed to be set free.  Being set free means telling your truth and your story to the world.

CSW:  You're a blessing because so many aren't set free because they don't hear or see a person who has survived.

JP:  Yes, and not being ashamed to shed light to others that are still in darkness.

CSW:  That's awesome.  We'll talk about your books in a little bit, but first I want to bring up the screenplay, Triggers, you're working with Keisha Rose.  Can you share with us how it came to be?

JP:  Triggers came to be because being a survivor  of domestic violence we always talk about getting free from the violence, but we never talk about the aftermath and devastation that it leaves behind.  As a result of my journey, I now deal with PTSD.

CSW:  Some know what it is, but for others that don't, what is PTSD?

JP:  Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a condition that a person can go through while recovering from traumatic events, such as domestic abusive to name one, in their life.  Triggers is a television series that deals with the aftermath of domestic violence with a group of women trying to put their lives back on track, now that they are free.  Working with Keisha seemed like the perfect match to getting it done.


CSW:  Telling your story through the lenses to reach more people is brave and wonderful.  How does Trigger compare to your personal life?

JP:  Everyday, I'm putting the pieces of my life back together now that I'm physically free.  I'm working on the mental aspects of being free.  Some days are great but then there are those days that aren't, and you  have to fight mentally to overcome on a daily basis.

CSW:  Thanks for your honesty.  Someone needs to read this today.

JP:  Amen!

CSW:  Are there things that you do to offset any triggers that might surface from time to time?

JP:  Not things that I would do, but people, places and things can be triggers like a movie, songs or even a word or phrases.  You don't really know all of your triggers until they actually happen sometimes unbeknownst to me.

CSW:  What would you recommend for a woman who has escaped domestic violence and is trying to move on with her life?

JP:  To seek God and go to group counseling to help you through those highs and lows.

CSW:  I want to approach this as if someone doesn't know, but is mental or emotional abuse a form of domestic  violence?

JP:  Yes, it definitely is.  It's the mental component of domestic abuse that keeps you in bondage to your abuser.

CSW:  There are some obvious signs that can describe domestic violence, but what are some signs that aren't realized by many?

JP:  Excessive clinginess can be confused with he loves me so much but the first thing the abuser wants to do is isolate you so he can reprogram you and dominate your thoughts.

CSW:  I think back to my situation and you're absolutely right.

JP:  It's important to pay attention to any red flags.  Don't just ignore it because it will definitely entrap you when you refuse to recognize the signs of danger in a toxic relationship.

CSW:  Well said.  You've written two books, Playin' Church and Still Playin' Church.  Will you continue with penning books, along with screenwriting?

JP:  Yes.  I absolutely love the gift of writing  and I'm currently working on my third novel Sins of the Father and will continue to co-write with Keisha Rose.

 

CSW:  That's great stuff.  Is Sins of the Father related to your other books?

JP:  Yes and my previous books expose domestic abuse behind closed doors, especially in the church.  The new book does as well.

CSW:  Please let me know when it's available.

JP:  I sure will.

CSW:  With most people being on social media, are there any online support groups?

JP:  There are many online support groups for women who are in domestic situations.  For women who have escaped and survived domestic violence, there are excellent resources to help women overcome.

CSW:  This has been wonderful and I know many people will be blessed by your encouraging words today.

JP:  Jesus has me on a mission.


CSW:  Yes, indeed.  Will you complete the following words with something that comes to mind first?  Happiness means...

JP:  Happiness means finding peace and acceptance with yourself and loving the person that you are and knowing that you will be okay.

CSW:  I'm very passionate about...

JP:  I'm very passionate about my gift of writing and the creativity that comes with being able to write about life's experiences on paper and share it with the world to touch with my gift.  And the ability to tell a story that will take my readers on a journey with me.

CSW:  My faith is...

JP:  My faith is God's ability to make and restore me to be the best woman and writer  I can be and  to touch and transform people through my transparency in my writing.

CSW:  It's been a pleasure Jane Pauline and I'm looking forward to seeing Triggers.  To the readers, Playin' Church and Still Playin' Church is available for purchase on Amazon.  

JP:  To God be the glory! 

Peace and Love,
C.S. Wadlington





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Purpose and Lyme

Loving Lulu: An Author's Story

Amar a Lulu: La Historia de Una Autora