A Rose In Full Bloom

A Rose in Full Bloom


I was greeted by a million dollar smile and positive vibes swept through the lobby as Chicago’s, Keisha Rose sat across from me.  She’s an actress, model, screen writer and producer.  I was looking at a rose in full bloom.  The outcome is beautiful, intricate and worth the wait.  That’s Keisha Rose. 

Get ready to enjoy an intimate conversation with Keisha Rose, as she discusses topics such as her childhood dreams, current projects, balancing family, mentoring and so much more, in this one of three part interview series.

CSW: Keisha, thanks for coming out today in spite of our mini snow storm.

KR:  I wouldn’t have missed it and I’m happy to be here.

CSW: Let’s jump in.  Tell me, when did you realize you wanted to be in the entertainment industry?

KR:  Oh gosh, ever since I was a little girl.  I remember always singing, entertaining and dancing.  I kept myself busy and would enroll myself in anything related to the entertainment business.  And of course at home, whenever we had someone visit, my mom was like, “Keisha can sing this song,” and there were a lot of those performances (laughs).

CSW: I bet those were some proud moments for your mom and fun for you.

KR: It was and I’ve always wanted to be in the entertainment business but I didn’t know at what level or what part.  I started modeling, which lead to singing.  Singing lead to acting and then I started to write.  Writing lead to producing and all the other good stuff.  I just always knew I was going to be a part of it.

CSW: It’s awesome that you knew at a young age and you had encouragement from family. And no matter what age, encouragement and advice is helpful.  What’s some of the best advice you’ve been given within the past year?

KR:  I’ve heard some great advice.  The best advice I’ve received has been to just watch your circle.  Stay prayed up.  Have people aligned that will motivate and inspire you.  And to take advantage of all the opportunities.

CSW:  That’s wonderful advice.  Who are your mentors?

KR:  I’ve had some awesome mentors and I would definitely say in regards to being a woman in production, the person that comes to mind, who has helped me is Ton’e Brown.  She’s really influenced me.  Ton’e is a producer, writer and filmmaker and the creator of Pink Baby Doll.  She’s encouraged me to take chances on the directing and producing side.  I’m so thankful for all the people who have encouraged and mentored me in some shape or form.

CSW: How important is mentoring others?

KR:  It’s very important.  I like to go and talk to our young girls all the time.  I usually go back to my high school alumni at Westinghouse.  They have a girl’s club and I talk to them about things like self-esteem, bullying and teen pregnancy.

CSW: Kudos to you and our young girls need that.  When is your next visit?

KR:  I’m scheduled to go back some time before graduation.  I think they need to see someone from where they’re from.  I tell them my story and show them they can overcome and come out of anything.


CSW:  That’s true and I imagine in the entertainment industry there can be obstacles and challenging at times.  Who or what gets you through those times?


KR:  Ooh, I lean on my inner circle.  Glenn Murray and my best friend, Kertrielier gets me through those challenging times.  My inner circle keeps me motivated and keeps the vision active.  I don’t have a lot of people in my inner circle, but it’s very important to have them with me.

CSW:  That inner circle is the key for peace of mind and protecting yourself, which leads me to the #MeToo movement.  How can women and men protect themselves going forward?  Or can you tell me what you’ve done to protect yourself from sexual harassment and sexual assault while working in the industry or anywhere else?

KR:  It’s one of those subjects that we all have to be upfront about and honest.  There are a lot of hidden agenda’s in this business and you never know why someone wants to meet with you. I’m very cautious of those situations and if a male contacts me the first thing I do is send them to my management team.  That means speaking with Glenn Murray.  If they don’t want to deal with Glenn, I don’t deal with them.  I really watch out for myself and I don’t go anywhere alone.  You have to use discernment when it comes to going to meetings.  There’s a lot of networking.  You’re meeting people at different places and you have to be careful.  Trust your gut and don’t put yourself in certain situations.  Never go to a hotel room to talk.  That’s not happening.  Be smart.

CSW:  That’s good stuff.  What determines your next move to do things?  Do you set goals for yourself?

KR:  I definitely set goals and its funny how they can change every second.  When I started, I just wanted to see if I could do a film.  Got that.  The next goal was to perfect my craft and I started acting school. Got that and on to the next goal.  I wanted to be a lead in something.  Got that and then I wanted to be involved in the production side which is producing, directing and writing and that’s all coming along too.  You have to keep the goals going and challenging yourself.

CSW: Since you’re involved now on the productions side, when it comes to producing, directing and writing, is one more challenging than the other?

KR:  Challenging?  I’d say producing and going into being a director and running film sets.  I’m very curious to see how things will develop. 

CSW: Very nice and I’ll switch up a little.  Give me one word.  Favorite season?

KR: Summer.

CSW:  Favorite dessert?

KR:  Pie.

CSW:  Favorite television show or movie?

KR:  Oh my God, Power.

CSW:  Favorite Color?

KR:  Purple.

CSW: Purple’s my favorite too.  Now, on to something we’ve all been waiting to hear about.  Tell me what you’re currently working on and what we can expect from you in 2019?

KR:  Currently, we just wrapped up, Meet Karma, which is a television series that I’m the lead in, producer and writer.  Now we’re preparing for season two.  Production on Sisterhood is starting late April into May.  Filming is complete for Kitchen Talk.  I’m also a co-writer on a series called Triggers.  Last summer we got the green light for the Netflix series, Whispers.  I’m also writing a screenplay along with Glenn Murray and author Marci Batiste from the book, Love Miscarriage written by Marci Batiste.  We have a lipstick line coming out sometime this spring or summer.  And the 3rd Annual ATL Actors Awards ceremony is coming up. I have lots of things being worked on.

CSW: What a blessing to be involved with so many things.  What people would it be a dream come true for you to work with?

KR:  Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey.

CSW:  You’d be in great company.

KR: Yes I would. (smiles)

CSW:  Let’s wrap up until next time and in the second of this interview series, let everyone know what they can look forward to.

KR:  A few things I’ll touch on is the hardest role I’ve had to play, what would I tell my fifteen year old self, all about Meet Karma and a whole lot more, so tune in.

CSW: Thank you Keisha Rose and keep blooming.  You can find Keisha Rose on all social media at iamkeisharose. Bookings for Keisha Rose is available at Info@220communications.com.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Purpose and Lyme

Loving Lulu: An Author's Story

Amar a Lulu: La Historia de Una Autora