Winning Through Laughter

No Room for the C Word!!

Today I bring to you a woman who is a survivor in life.  Diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer in 2009, Madeline Figueroa, was ready to fight.  She made it known, she wasn't messing around with the disease.  Relentless, she continued on with her life, but the stupid C word wanted to take her on again and she was diagnosed with Stage 3 in 2011 and Stage 4 in 2016.  There was no stopping her and this week she has been preparing to go on stage in front of an audience to give us a look inside.  Today, she shares how she turned to comedy to help her in this journey.



CSW:  Madeline, thanks for meeting with me and I'm excited to find out how you turned to comedy in the midst of your journey.

MF:  Thank you for having me.  I'm happy to be able to share what I've experienced and hopefully my words will be a positive light for at least one person.

CSW:  I agree and you never know who might need to hear about your journey today, so let's get started.  What or who inspires you?

MF:  First and foremost, God, because without him, none of it would be possible.  Secondly, my family, especially my mom.  She has shown me what living through adversity with a smile is like.  My family and friends have been my major support structure.

Family


CSW:  That's awesome and it's really important to have that support.

MF:  It is and they're my motivation to endure and keep going.  But I dedicate each day to my Aunt Lucy, who lost her battle with breast cancer five years prior to my diagnosis and who I vowed to make sure that my story would end differently than hers.  I learned from her, NEVER GIVE UP!!!


My love, Titi Lucy



CSW:  You're going on the stage this week and we'll get into the details later.  Can you share with the readers how and why you started using comedy as a platform to tell about your journey with breast cancer?


MF: 
Not every bad thing is a bad thing.  Sometimes life throws you a serious curve ball.  It's how you swing that will determine whether you are out, on base or you hit a home run.  I chose comedy because throughout the journey, although it was very difficult at times, there were just some funny situations that presented themselves, where if I didn't laugh, my diagnosis would win the game.  I wasn't ready for that to happen.  That being said, I chose comedy to educate about the things that can be a part of the cancer journey.



CSW:  That's a great outlook.

MF:  A life journey has funny moments and if we don't laugh at them, life will consume us.  Most important is that people will listen and hopefully remember and share what I did to get through it and not focusing on why do I even have to.

CSW:  People are listening because of what they hear and see in you.


MF:  Anyway I can help, I surely try.

CSW:  Your words are definitely a blessing.  Tell me this.  What advice would you give to any woman who is feeling healthy and going about her life, doing her thing?

MF:  Feeling healthy and being healthy are two very different things.

CSW:  That's powerful.

MF:  I celebrate anyone who feels healthy and is enjoying life.  That was me in 2009.  However, conditions like cancer, don't come with pain and hidden under other symptoms.  For example you might feel tired and run down, but because you think you're "healthy," you push through it and attribute it to being tired.  You may have become used to "YOUR NORMAL," health-wise and make any necessary adjustments.  But if you're tired, run down and don't make time for yourself, it's not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN.

CSW:  That's a great reminder for everyone.  We have to know our bodies and pay attention.  That leads me to self care.  Describe what "Me Time," means for you.

MF:  Music, a view, something or someone to cuddle with and not a word spoken.

CSW:  That's what I'm talking about.  Sounds perfect.  Looking at your life, describe in six words, your life story.

MF:  Wow, I'm Puerto Rican.  We don't some up anything in six words.

CSW & MF:  Laughs.

MF:  If I have to I would say, SHE BELIEVED SHE COULD AND JUMPED!


CSW:  Keep jumping.  You're doing it.  Now, can you share with the readers the upcoming events you're participating in?

MF:  This Friday, September 13th, at STAGE 773, I'll be part of an ensemble of comedians performing in "606 Mania" by B-side Productions.  October 3rd, I'll be at Joe's on Weed Street.  I'll be part of an ensemble of comedians performing in "Girl, Let Me Tell You," MikeyO Comedy Production benefiting against Breast Cancer.

CSW:  I was at one of  your performances previously and it was a fun night.  I laughed so much my eyes were burning.

MF:  Everyone get your tickets and come for a night filled with laughter.

CSW:  Can we follow you on social media?

MF:  Yes, follow me on Instagram @Maddy_figs and on Facebook @unfilteredMaddy.

CSW:  Madeline, thank you so much for sharing your story with us.  Keep shining and peace and love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life, Purpose and Lyme

Loving Lulu: An Author's Story

Amar a Lulu: La Historia de Una Autora