Life, Purpose and Lyme

Seeing the Light Beyond Lyme-Featuring Jennifer Scott 




It's Lyme Awareness month and let us continue to be informed and getting the word out about Lyme disease this month and beyond.  Today I bring to you an interview and snapshot of Jennifer Scott’s life as she navigates through a journey with Lyme disease while balancing family, personal goals, passion and purpose. 

CSW:  Hi Jennifer.  I really appreciate you taking the time to speak with us.

JBS:  It’s my pleasure.

CSW:  My main goal for the audience is to understand a portion of your journey and if you can share what that means and inform us about Lyme disease.

JBS:  Sounds good, I'm ready.

CSW:  All right, let’s get started.  With May being Lyme Awareness month, I want to have a conversation about the disease and how it can affect a person’s world.   It’s had an impact on your life so can you tell me in four words a description of your journey?

JBS: Hmmm…Unexpected, Life-changing, Transforming and Beautiful.

CSW:  Those are powerful words that people can relate to no matter what their walk of life is.  What do you want people to know about Lyme disease?

JBS: It’s a common mistake – but I guess the first thing is that it’s “Lyme Disease.” There is no apostrophe “s.” It’s silly I know, but it drives the people in the Lyme community crazy! (Laughs)

CSW:  I'm guilty and I know I go back and forth with an S and without one. (Laughs) That’s a great start.  I surely didn’t know that.

JBS: But seriously folks, here are a few things you need to know about Lyme. Lyme disease is a world-wide infectious disease and has been reported in all 50 states and on every continent except Antarctica.  25% of the reported cases are children.

CSW: I never realized it was so widespread and there seems to be misconceptions as to how someone can get Lyme disease.  What ways can it be contracted?

JBS: Some less well-known methods of transmitting the disease is by saliva, tears, breast milk, semen and bites from spiders, mosquitos, mites and fleas.

CSW:  I would have never known it can be transmitted by tears or breast milk.

JBS:  And a new study is suggesting that it can be sexually transmitted.

CSW: My goodness, that’s scary.  What are some of the symptoms?

JBS:  Joint aches like arthritis, typically in the knees, digestive issues, swollen glands, cognitive confusion, vision problems, headaches, memory loss and fainting.  Some people develop flu-like symptoms a week or so after becoming infected, however, many people can develop Lyme symptoms months, years or even decades later.  And that’s because the Lyme spirochete bacteria is hard to detect and kill. Lyme disease is an epidemic and growing rampantly in the United States.

CSW:  Are there certain things we can do to prevent from getting Lyme disease? 

JBS:  I can only give advice on the best way to avoid a tick-borne illness from a tick bite.  When walking in the woods in areas that ticks are common, wear long sleeved shirts and pants and tuck your pants into your socks.  You can wear light colored clothing so that ticks can be more easily seen.  Walk in the middle of trails and make sure to use a tick repellent that’s at least 20 percent DEET.

CSW:  That’s very informative and I’m sure it’ll be helpful for many people, especially since Memorial Day is coming and people will be enjoying outdoor activities.

JBS: Absolutely and two last things is to treat your clothes and gear with 0.5 percent Permethrin.  And when you’re done with being in the wooded area, shower immediately and do a thorough tick check.  Lot’s a great info online for how to do that.


CSW:  Great advice.  Is there anything being done locally for better treatments and preventive measures?

JBS:  Jennifer Struble Russell is an amazing activist from the Illinois Lyme group, and Representative Dan Swanson, have been spearheading legislation changes with the support and assistance of Illinois Lyme patients and their families.  Bill HB4515 passed this year.   It unanimously passed the House last month and we have moved onto the Senate now. This legislation would give Lyme sufferers insurance coverage for antibiotics, testing and doctor visits that are currently not being covered.  Beyond that we do a yearly Lyme Disease Awareness Walk.  We have support groups popping up throughout the state, and many of us have made a mission of presenting educational events to spread the message.

CSW:  I'm surprised insurance company aren't covering but it's good that progress is being made.  When you were diagnosed with Lyme disease, I’m sure you tried to deal with it the best way you knew how and sometimes, as humans, we ask God why me.  Others might say, why not me?  Can you share your thoughts?  And what are some of the good things that have come after being diagnosed?

JBS:  At first, I was angry at God because of how severely my disease impacted my life. There were years where I lived out of state undergoing treatments away from my family, countless hospital stays, periods where I was bedridden, and in a wheelchair because I lost the use of my legs.  And then there was the time I almost died from compete organ failure while in the ICU.  I lost my career, became disabled, and I was just empty and lost.




CSW:  I’m happy to be here talking with you now.  I’m sure it’s been life changing.

JBS:  It has been.  I was always the one who ran, ran, ran and did everything for everyone. Now who was I? Useless? Invaluable? BUT GOD!!!! God had a way to use everything I went through – along with my forced “down time” - to remind me of passions and purposes. God renewed my desire to create art and to use art as a healing tool for myself and others.

CSW:  What an incredible testimony.  And speaking of art, your paintings are beautiful.  You’re a very talented artist and your paintings provoke, truth and transparency.  I see your honesty and storytelling in your paintings.  When did you start painting?

JBS:  I loved art as a child.  I would drive my mom crazy asking her what to draw and seeking her approval after every mark I made on the page, (smiling).  I took a few art classes in high school and really loved it.  But then life happened.  I got married, had kids, had a career…., who had time to pursue art???  But a few years back, as I was grappling with the words to describe what my body was feeling, and I decided to pull out my pastels and draw what my symptoms felt like. “Expressions of Lyme I” was the first piece I shared on Facebook.  It was a way for me to “tell” people how my body felt.  Bruised, stabbing, prickling pain. The positive responses from Facebook spurred me on! From there….it just kind of overtook me!

Expressions of Lyme 1




 
CSW:  Can you tell me the stories behind, “Make It Stop” and “The Colors Through Which I Walk?



JBS: “Make it Stop” was an expression of the constant head pain and pressure I feel. There is constant fullness and pressure in my head and face, and it is never quite in my head. There is constant pulsing and pain and that painting came about as an expression of my frustration with the constant noise in my head.

CSW:  That depiction is spot on in the painting you described.  What a gift you have.

JBS: Thanks.  “The Colors Through Which I Walk” was one of the first abstracts I ever did. The flesh tones through the center represent me. The swirling colors are just life happening around me. Red, fiery pain and conflict, cool and peaceful blues and purples represent the peace I feel knowing that God’s got me, yellow for the sunny cheerful days…you get the idea.  And you will notice a traced path of my fingerprints going through part of the painting.  Just the colorful chaotic mess I call my life.

CSW:  Simply beautiful and chaotic at the same time.  What can you share with the readers about how they can see your artwork and make purchases? 

JBS:  If any of your readers are interested in viewing my work, they can go to my website, www.jenniferscott-artist.com or my Facebook page, www.facebook.com/pg/CreatedToCreate1/ or my Instagram jennifer.b.scott.10.  I will be showing at Art in the Park in Elk Grove Village on June 2nd.  I have a shared show with another artist at Salt Air Gallery in Edison Park with an opening reception on June 21. And I also will be participating in ARAS VA Real Art Show” in downtown Mount Prospect on June 22nd.  I’ve also been busy facilitating my Created to Create Ministries workshops at various host organizations. Things are getting busier on the art front and I couldn’t be happier!

CSW:  That’s great news and I’m sure you'll see some familiar faces at some of those dates.

JBS:  That would be nice to see some familiar and new faces.

























CSW:  In the midst of good days, and the not so good days, what keeps you grounded?  Who are the people that always encourage you and help to put a smile on your face?

JBS: The unpredictability of my daily symptoms makes for a wide range of days – from awesome almost normal days…to days I wish God would take me home. But what keeps me grounded…what keeps me going….is the track record that God and I have.  Every situation or circumstance that I thought would break me, end me, ruin me….God had gotten me through! I have not only survived the worst days of my life – but I have come out better and stronger because God grew me as He guided me through it!  My family and friends keep me going!  My circle has shrunken significantly since becoming sick,  but the family and friends who stayed are my greatest blessings.  My selfless husband David, my girls Tori and Kirstin, my grand-babies Brandon, Jackson and Dominick, my sister Sally is also my best friend and is always by my side when I need her. My other siblings, Laura, Karen, Bob and Tim, their spouses, their kids… I am blessed with an amazing support network!

CSW:  Support systems are so important in our lives.  Truly a blessing.

JBS:  Yes.

CSW:  As were closing, let me ask a few things that makes all of us smile.  Give me a few words that come to mind when I ask, what’s your guilty pleasure of food?  Love, favorite season and all-time favorite song.

JBS:  My guilty pleasure food, ICE CREAM!!! I have a serious addiction! Vanilla bean is my favorite! Simple and sweet…just like me! Bahahaha!!! (Chuckles)

CSW:  I know people who would agree with you. (Smiles)

JBS:  The word love makes me think of Jesus and what he did to save my soul for eternity. There is no greater love.  My favorite season is definitely Autumn. For me it was always the time of year to get organized, set goals, and start anew. Fresh clean folders and notebooks, pencils and pens, new socks and uniform, football and cheer-leading season. And the leaves, the colors, the smells, the changes, the letting go.  I love Fall!

CSW:  Fall is my favorite too.  

JBS:  Yes, it’s the best.  It’s funny to think I don’t have an all-time favorite song. What’s wrong with me?  (Laughs)

CSW:  I know that are too many greats songs, but I know you have some.

JBS:  Genesis was my all-time favorite band back in the day. Now I mostly listen to contemporary Christian music.  I think “Overcomer” by Mandisa has become my theme song though.

CSW:  I enjoyed that.  It’s been a joy talking with you and I’ve learned so much about Lyme disease and more about you.  I’m sure the readers have too.  Give me those dates one more time so we all can support you and other Lyme warriors.

JBS:  It’s been fun and thanks for sharing this platform for me to educate people about Lyme Disease.  The dates are Art in the Park in Elk Grove Village on June 2nd, Salt Air Gallery in Edison Park with an opening reception on June 21, and ARAS V “A Real Art Show” in downtown Mount Prospect on June 22nd

CSW:  And don’t forget to go to Jennifer’s website, https://www.jenniferscott-artist.com Thanks again Jennifer and I love your spirit and continue being the positive, shining light that’s so empowering for others.









Comments

  1. Nice interview...thanks for letting Jenny put herself out there on yet another platform. She is truly about educating and inspiring.
    God bless you both!❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sally Beth! She's an inspiration to many. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Lulu: An Author's Story

Amar a Lulu: La Historia de Una Autora